Flame virus set to spread like wildfire

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 12:14:58 UTC 2012

On 05/30/2012 08:03 AM, Stephen wrote:
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/flame-virus-set-to-spread-like-wildfire/article2447114/
>

> Excerpt:
>
> It is perhaps the most sophisticated piece of malicious software ever
> designed – a digital surveillance device so complex it ran on
> sensitive government computer networks for years, undetected.
>
> And now, a tool that was almost certainly developed for
> state-sanctioned cyberwarfare is out in the open, soon to make its way
> into the hands of everyone from computer virus researchers to criminal
> gangs.
>
> Comment:
>
> Governments, anywhere in the world, using Windows software, are
> placing their country's security at risk.

... and consumerized software generally.  Imagine 20MB of code, huge
amounts of net traffic, etc. all hiding in plain sight because the user
isn't aware that the system is not supposed to be doing that.

"What's that tractor-trailer loading out of my garage?  And what were
those people burying in my back yard last night?"
"Don't worry, Mr. Stephen.  It's all under control."

???

     Mel.