Rogers static name

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 29 15:19:36 UTC 2012

| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

| How do I find out the long and impossible-to-remember dns name that Rogers
| has asssigned my IP address?

Others have answered.  So I'll diverge.

How do you find out your Rogers IP address from inside your NAPTed
LAN?  The thread from earlier this month "How do you check your
external IP?" had good answers.  My favourite, from Sadiq Saif, was
	curl -q http://icanhazip.com/

What is that odd domain name that Rogers gives you?  It turns out that
part of the name is the MAC address, in hex, of the device talking to
the modem.  In most setups, that is the MAC address of the WAN
interface of the broadband router.  The MAC address is preceded by CPE
(Customer Premises Equipment?).

The second part starts with CM and looks like it might be a MAC
address too.  The same number is listed on the modem's label as HFC
MAC ID.

If I use the OUI Lookup Tool
  <http://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html>
on the CM number, it says:
  00:0F:9F Motorola Mobility, Inc.
This makes sense as the cable modem is a Motorola device.

If I google for my CM number, all the hits are for me.  So it looks to
be unique (as a MAC should be).  Spooky: google finds geolocation
pages and lots of ancient IRC logs.