ARM PC/HTPCs are getting interesting! (Via's APC (Android PC) announced).

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 22 17:44:28 UTC 2012

| From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>

Thanks for this email.

(And thanks, Lennart, for mentioning the Cubox).

| With the market going the way it is, I'd like to hear from GTALUGers.
|
| 1) What they would be doing with these devices?

Lots of little things.  Perhaps:

- file server

- internet gateway

- myth client

Strengths: low power, quiet, small.

| 2) What would you expect in term of support before you try one?

I want all my friends to have one so that I don't have to figure out
the gotchas on my own.  That's one reason your message is heartening.

It would be nice if the product looked to be part of a continuing
series.  Eventually, any box will be obsolete.

| 3) What feature set do you think these boards/systems should be targeting? At
| what price would you pay for that feature set?

Features I'd like for at least some applications:

- I'd like multiple ethernet interfaces to make router's possible.
  I've now got a work-around for that.

- I'd like gigabit ethernet since that makes a better server

- I'd like USB3 so that disk access can be fast.  eSATA would be good
  now but I imagine that USB3 will displace it and is more versatile.

- to give the device more flexibility and longevity, I'd like a lot of
  RAM.  These days, in the PC world, 4G is $20 retail -- well worth it.

- video is a problem.  I want open source drivers.  And I want
  licenses for CODECs.  Not sure they mix.

Bonuses are nice.  The Mele A1000's remote looks like fun.  WiFi is
sometimes useful.  Lots of flash can be useful.