Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 22 15:25:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:53:47PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> There's a plenty good reason: in these Modern Days, we're concerned
> about getting value out of our power consumption.
>
> It's likely that those Pentium III systems chew many times more power
> than (say) an Atom-based system that sells for not terribly much
> money, new.

Well pentium III's are not too bad.  Pentium 4's on the other hand should
be scrapped.

> If you're going to be spending $20/month powering a Pentium III, then
> you have to count that as part of the cost of owning it, and it's
> easily worthwhile to invest $400 on a new system that only costs
> $5/month for power.
>
> That pays off as cheaper in just 26 months, and if the $400 machine is
> a lot more powerful, the extra utility makes it quite clear that,
> contrary to "NO GOOD REASON," there is *excellent* reason for such a
> choice.
>
> You want to save on power consumption, don't you?

If you care about power consumption, go buy a modern ARM system for $150
and use that.  Faster than the pentium III and uses a tiny fraction of
the power.

x86 just isn't suitable for efficient systems.

--
Len Sorensen