Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 21 22:41:50 UTC 2012

Indeed. I have a Digital Multia, once worth thousands, only kept as its
case engineering is so pretty.

Were I to get an SGI Indy, I rather think the best use would be as a case
for an espresso machine.
DND: MARLANT went to heroic lengths, but were forced, in the end, to shut
down the last MULTICS system in 2000.  I expect that the disk drives had
been out of production for twenty or so years.   This was pretty big
trouble, as there isn't yet a MULTICS emulator, so software running on it
had to get rewritten.  (Sources now available...  Anyone got a PL/1
compiler?
http://web.mit.edu/multics-history/source/Multics_Internet_Server/Multics_sources.html)

Heroics were fairly worthwhile, as these were multi-million dollar
computers.  (Albeit likely with less CPU power and storage than is found on
the average smartphone these days.  Original specs for GE-645s involved
approximately 1 MIPS, 256K words (36 bit words), 200MB disk spindles, so
your cell phone is massively more capacious.)

Most pointedly, it isn't much worthwhile to put heroic efforts into
preservation of computer hardware that was cheaply built and that is wildly
inferior, under a multiplicity of metrics, to newer stuff.