Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat May 19 22:26:01 UTC 2012

On 12-05-19 12:53 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> You want to save on power consumption, don't you?

Are you really saving on power consumption? Consider that power supplies are
more efficient than a lot of the ones used in older PC's but remember that
the video cards in current day machines tend to require a lot more power
than older video cards.

An older computer might have a 200W to 300W power supply. The video cards in
some (a lot?) of the machines today need power supplies with wattages of
450W or more. The power supply of an older machine could be replaced for a
more efficient one to reduce its power consumption slightly.

Without measuring the current draw of machine A vs. machine B you can't be
certain that machine B (if it is newer than A) uses less power.

Just some additional food for thought.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.