Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 19 16:53:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM, charles chris <cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Pentium IIIs are being scrapped for NO GOOD REASON

There's a plenty good reason: in these Modern Days, we're concerned
about getting value out of our power consumption.

It's likely that those Pentium III systems chew many times more power
than (say) an Atom-based system that sells for not terribly much
money, new.

If you're going to be spending $20/month powering a Pentium III, then
you have to count that as part of the cost of owning it, and it's
easily worthwhile to invest $400 on a new system that only costs
$5/month for power.

That pays off as cheaper in just 26 months, and if the $400 machine is
a lot more powerful, the extra utility makes it quite clear that,
contrary to "NO GOOD REASON," there is *excellent* reason for such a
choice.

You want to save on power consumption, don't you?