Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 17 08:03:26 UTC 2012

  I've managed to get automount under mdev sort of working, but it's not
quite ready for primetime yet.  E.g. when I insert a USB stick, a
hotplug event triggers a script, which creates a new device (/dev/sdb1,
etc). I've modified the script to also mount the new device when it's
created.  So far so good.  Unfortunately, since it's mounted by root, my
regular user account can't write to it... oops.

  I also need to unmount it as aregular user, before yanking it out.  An
idea might be a script with sudoers access that lets me unmount anything
on the /media directory.  Manual mounting/unmounting on fstab-listed
devices works as per normal, but some people prefer automounting.  Any
ideas on mounting?