680news says Byron Sonne acquitted of explosive charges.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 15 21:38:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:55:08PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure that this represents a "fix" that I'd particularly
> want to see.
>
> To add a burden to the police that they'll have to budget for
> "reparations" any time they find a plausible perpetrator that mightn't
> turn out to be guilty seems troublesome.  That may encourage them to
> not pursue cases, and that doesn't sound like a particularly wonderful
> outcome.

Well to some extent there should also be an incentive to not harass
people.

> Part of how I view this case is that Byron "poked a stick" at those
> that are (fairly properly) tasked as 'wolves,' and that the outcome
> involved a certain amount of "toothy reaction" shouldn't come as any
> surprise.

While poking things with a stick isn't something I would normally be
interested in doing, I think he should be allowed to do so.

> The unrelenting nature of the response seems unfair, though it is also
> fairly unsurprising, as there are government folk keen on justifying a
> project on which they spent a boatload of money.
>
> I suppose it should be rather embarrassing that they didn't get
> charges to stick.  That is not of terribly practical use for Byron in
> rebuilding things after his losses.

Well personally I am not at all worried about terrorist attacks.  I am
much more concerned about the harm that the people claiming to be working
to prevent terrorism are causing.  I know for sure they are causing harm,
while terrorist attacks are pretty darn rare.

Byron may have pocked a stick at stuff, but he wasn't the one that spent
1 billion dollars on a fancy party for his buddies while disrupting the
lives and businesses of hundres of thousands of people.  Harper is the
one that should have been arrested, and I want my share of the tax money
back he wasted on that stupid event.

--
Len Sorensen