How do you check your external IP?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 13 00:59:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 04:14:27PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> > I usually go to my router's webpage.  But, my new router has fancy Java
> > enabled webpage that I can't log in using Lynx.  So, I can't script it.
> > My plan is to send email to myself if IP changes.  :-)
>
> If you just want to check the IP, that's been well covered, but isn't
> a better idea to have a name that tracks the IP so you don't need to
> care what the IP is?  I use both ZoneEdit and DynDNS names in this
> way.  Many routers have built-in support for these services now which
> means you don't even need to run a client on the machine.  If you
> want/need the email too, a client on a machine behind the router might
> be nicer though as I don't recall seeing a 'mail me' option in any of
> the routers that sport dyndns updaters.

My new router is DIR-655, and it has offer of free account at
DLinkDDNS.com.  But, DLinkDDNS.com shows the saved IP and connecting IP,
and gives you text box to enter the new IP, which means you can only use
it from home.

Also, before you can update dynamic DNS sites, you have to know your new
IP.  My issue is how to script it.  Once you know your new IP, you can
update DNS or email it to yourself.  For my purpose, emailing to myself
is sufficient.  Besides, the free DNS has names that I probably won't
remember.
--
William