How do you check your external IP?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 12 20:44:44 UTC 2012

Sadiq Saif wrote:
> I usually do this:
> curl -q http://icanhazip.com/
>
> That supports IPv6 as well, I have it set up as an alias in my zsh config

The only problem with that it recent versions of Linux, Windows etc.
have more than one unicast IPv6 address.  There's one based on your MAC
address and one or more based on a random number.  If you go to an
address check site, such as this one, it will likely show the random
number address, rather than the MAC based.  However, the MAC based
address is the one you'd have DNS point to.  MAC based addresses tend to
be static, unless you change ISPs.  I have about 4 sextillion IPv6
addresses in my subnet.