more user-friendly than Update manager?

DAVID CHIPMAN chipmand-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 23:01:34 UTC 2012

________________________________
From: Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 4:15:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: more user-friendly than Update manager?

Sorry for top-posting here but I figured since my answer is so fresh (and I don't want you to hunt below for non-existent interleaved responses), I would top-post this once...

How about I run something like...

sudo apt-get remove *volution*

?

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you do that, make sure it doesn't try and remove your deskop environment [DE] on you. Some of these things have become "plumbing" for the DE, and removing them would cause the package manager to remove the DE.

IMHO, it'd be nice if programs tested for the availabliilty of some funcions, and simply disabled the features whne the underling functions aren't present.

Best of luck,

-David