more user-friendly than Update manager?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 20:00:21 UTC 2012

| From: Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>

Thanks for your supplying the output to help diagnose the issue.

| chris at chris-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$ dpkg --list '*volution*'
| Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| |
| |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
| | |/ Name           Version        Description
| +++-==============-==============-============================================
| un  evolution <none>         (no description available)
| ii  evolution-data 3.2.0-0ubuntu1 evolution database backend server
| ii  evolution-data 3.2.0-0ubuntu1 architecture independent files for Evolution
| un  evolution-data <none>         (no description available)
| un  evolution-data <none>         (no description available)
| un  libreoffice-ev <none>         (no description available)

You actually DO have bits (but not all) of evolution.  Evolution
appears to be spread among several packages.  You have two packages
with names that start with "evolution-data" installed (unfortunately
the report appears to truncate long names).

| > 	apt-get --just-print upgrade

| The following packages have been kept back:
|   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic software-center
| The following packages will be upgraded:
|   accountsservice acpid aisleriot alsa-utils app-install-data-partner
|   appmenu-qt apport apport-gtk apt apt-transport-https apt-utils aptdaemon
|   aptdaemon-data apturl apturl-common at-spi2-core bamfdaemon banshee
|   banshee-extension-soundmenu banshee-extension-ubuntuonemusicstore baobab
|   bind9-host binutils bluez bluez-alsa bluez-cups bluez-gstreamer brasero
|   brasero-cdrkit brasero-common brltty bzip2 ca-certificates-java checkbox
|   checkbox-gtk colord command-not-found command-not-found-data compiz
|   compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default compiz-plugins-main-default
|   cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc deja-dup desktop-file-utils
|   dnsutils dpkg empathy empathy-common eog evince evince-common
|   evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common file-roller firefox
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Updates have been released for both of these packages.  That's what
update-manager is pestering you about.

If you remove them, update-manager should stop pestering you about
them.  It might be the case that you have other packages that depend
on them, making removal difficult.

The same approach would work with the other packages update-manager is
bugging you about.

To be honest, I find it more bother to remove packages that the distro
thought might be useful than it is to apply all updates that
update-manager suggests.