name workspaces in ubuntu/unity OR rename activitiesi n KDE

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 15:49:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> - I thought KDE activities would be the obvious solution here, but I
> cnanot figure out how to modify the properties of existing KDE
> activities.  Every internet guide I've found suggests that there will
> be an "Activity" icon in the "Desktop Settings" window you can bring
> up in various ways under KDE.  But I'm not seeing one anywhere -- the
> whole icon is missing, and in fact the configuration GUI is pretty
> barebones -- se ethis image,
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/103617970/desktopsetting_noact.png .
> Not sure if these config options been moved somewhere else in recent
> KDE versions, but if so I'm not finding any documentation about it
> anywhere.  Perhaps I'm missing some crucial packages? but if so,
> again, I can't tell what they might be.

Virtual desktops and activities are orthogonal concepts. Virtual desktops
in KDE work as they always have and they're implemented (and configured) in
the window manager. You can have however many you want, you can name them,
you can make KWin force certain windows to certain desktops. That's all
normal X stuff.

Activities, AFAICT, never having used them, are about creating related
groups of processes and plasma doohickeys that can be started and stopped
as a unit. An activity will configure/modify all your virtual desktops in
one go. Note that a lot (most?) of what's on the web about KDE activities
is horribly out of date and doesn't describe activities as they exist
today. the first result I found was for activities circa 2009, which don't
work at all like today's ones.

It sounds to me like you want just plain virtual desktops, rather than
activities.