server distros

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 27 12:55:51 UTC 2012

On 12-03-27 08:31 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 07:01:46PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>> Setting up the bridge adapter for one.
>>
>> Default kvm doesn't use one.
>>
>> Default is host nat interface.
>>
>> So if you happen to want bridging on some interface (how the distribution
>> should know I have no idea), then you can set that up.
>>
>> I find that distributions that try to guess what I want tend to break
>> things.  If they ask, I can help with the right answer of course.
>>
>> --
>> Len Sorensen
>

> Len,
>
> This http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking link suggests that using
> host nat interface while being the default is the slowest.
>
> I am wondering why you would suggest this ?

NAT out of the box isn't going to mess with your host's networking to
the point of breaking it. Anything else, like Lennart pointed out, all
bets are off.  A packager has no way of knowing what your network
interfaces look like e.g. do you want a bridge on eth0, eth0, tun0,
wlan0? That and bridged networking entails promiscuous mode as I pointed
out, which may not be suitable for some environments.

NAT is the low hanging fruit and gets a working virtualization stack up
and running with minimal effort on the packager's and user's behalves.

Jamon