Finally on teksavvy

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 25 16:02:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:44:02AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have common garden variety ADSL from Telnet Communications.  I'm not
> going to change my supplier.  But I got a call yesterday saying that I
> could upgrade to higher speeds and, only this month, dodge
> installation fees.  So I'm considering.

Yeah the $95 installation fees being waived is nice.

> Up to 6Mb downstream/800Kb upstream for $39.95/mo  <== what I have
> Up to 12Mb downstream/1Mb upstream for $47.95
> Up to 16Mb downstream/1Mb upstream for $57.95
> Up to 25Mb downstream/7Mb upstream for $67.95
>
> I think that the first two are ADSL (perhaps ADSL2+).
> I think that the last two are VDSL2, so I'd need a new modem.

25/7 is VDSL2.  12/1 and 16/1 are ADSL2.  You can use your own modem for
the 12 and 16, but you must rent a cellpipe 7130 from Bell for the 25/7.

> It looks to me as if going to the second is a no-brainer.  The faster
> ones, not so clear.
>
> The last one really improves the upstream.

Yes, quite a bit.

> Any idea if VDSL has operational advantages beyond speed?
> Reliability?

Well since VDSL2 is the Bell Fibe system, it is actually much closer
to you thn ADSL is.  They run fiber to the node near you and then have
the DSLAM equipment there to provide the VDSL2 link to your phone line.
So a much shorter haul of analog for the internet bit.  VDSL2 can't go
nearly as far as ADSL obviously, hence why they had to do it this way
to get that kind of speed.

When I had ADSL, bell could enable it on a line by moving a cable back at
the CO.  For VDSL2 they have to come and move a line in the distribution
box down the street (which is where the fiber terminates in this case.
In some areas you can actually get fiber to your house, but I don't
think they do that most places).

> Are the same filters used for ADSL and VDSL?

Don't need any.  There is a line splitter installed near the incoming
line that filters.  Otherwise yes the same filters would work if they
were needed.  So the jack running the VDSL2 modem doesn't work for a
phone anymore.

--
Len Sorensen