Finally on teksavvy

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 25 04:44:02 UTC 2012

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

Thanks for the report of your experience.

|   Well VDSL2
| changed that.  Free install (during some part of March), and I now have
| 25Mbps down, and 7Mbps up (speedtest.net confirms it is reliably doing
| that), for about the same monthly price I was paying rogers for 10Mbps
| down and 1Mbps up.

I have common garden variety ADSL from Telnet Communications.  I'm not
going to change my supplier.  But I got a call yesterday saying that I
could upgrade to higher speeds and, only this month, dodge
installation fees.  So I'm considering.

Up to 6Mb downstream/800Kb upstream for $39.95/mo  <== what I have
Up to 12Mb downstream/1Mb upstream for $47.95
Up to 16Mb downstream/1Mb upstream for $57.95
Up to 25Mb downstream/7Mb upstream for $67.95

I think that the first two are ADSL (perhaps ADSL2+).
I think that the last two are VDSL2, so I'd need a new modem.

It looks to me as if going to the second is a no-brainer.  The faster
ones, not so clear.

The last one really improves the upstream.

Any idea if VDSL has operational advantages beyond speed?
Reliability?

Are the same filters used for ADSL and VDSL?