Binning web advertisers and trackers

Anthony Verevkin anthony-P5WJPa9AKEcsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 24 02:33:41 UTC 2012

> >    Try the "Ghostery" plugin for Firefox
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

I was looking for a long time for the ultimate plugin and I found it
for myself. But first I tried to describe what I wanted and then I just
found a plugin which did that - it is RequestPolicy. What it does is
it's stopping the page from loading the content from other domains.
Any content.

Cause the way tracking works is - you enter the site with legit content
and it gives you a cookie. And you are good with it, cause it's a part
of your interaction with this site. But then the site is telling you -
go check a banner (or even just a one dot picture) from my partners.
And your browser goes for it (to google-analytics, etc). And then it
interacts with that Ad site and accepts a cookie from it (and at this
point it's already not a cross-domain cookie as you requested some
content from that site). But the whole thing with getting content from
another site which is not the site you were requesting is no good.

Yes, the plugin breaks some things, but you then set the exclusions on
the SiteA-to-SiteB basis. Works for me.

Regards,
Anthony