Desktop GUI concept

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 23 22:42:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Molly Tournquist
> | <mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> | > Dvorak is not for French. That's what Bepo is for.
>
> | I didn't say it was for French. I said the French (as in France) use
> | it because it's supposed to be better for Latin-based languages. I
> | don't really know if that's true or not, all I know is I did some work
> | in France and Dvorak keyboards were widely used and people there said
> | it was better; some hadn't even seen a qwerty keyboard! I personally
> | found it very perplexing and frustrating coming from the qwerty world.
>
> Where we use QWERTY, French use AZERTY.  But that isn't Dvorak or
> Dvorak-fr (or Bepo).  I've always (well, for 30 years) called it
> AZERTY and it seems some others do too.

You are correct sir, and it is I who am mistaken. Most of the ones I
saw were AZERTY keyboards you describe, yet I also encountered the use
of funny keyboards with all the vowels stuck together, and they
proudly explained they were Dvorak and much easier to type with. Heck,
I didn't even know Dvorak until then so I guess I just assumed they
were all variations of the Dvorak keyboard, but now I can see they are
totally different!!

--
Alejandro Imass