Printing/CUPS problem

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 21 20:34:54 UTC 2012

I have an MP250 attached to my computer by USB. It is detected by my
system, and I can use the scanner just fine. However, when I try to
add the printer, it opens a message that says it is searching for
drivers, and then I get an error like so:

CUPS Server Error: There was an error during the CUPS operation:
'server-error-service-unavailable'.

It looks like the CUPS service is not running, so

root at rebelone:/home/joehill# /etc/init.d/cups start
Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
root at rebelone:/home/joehill#

but still the same error.

I did a search on the error, and all I came up with were suggestions
about network printers.

Any tips?

Thanks!

--