Desktop GUI concept

Chris F.A. Johnson chris-E7bvbYbpR6jSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 21 17:46:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Howard Gibson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:15:48 -0400
> Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.punchgraphicdesign.com/blog/2009/10/19/future-of-the-desktop-interface.html
>
>   I am still running FVWM2 here.  Do current desktops really and truly not work?

     I have no trouble with my desktop (Windowmaker); I have none of
     the problems described in that video.

     Multitouch technology? That's what I have been using since 1963;
     it's called a keyboard.

>   I can give you a good example here of a similar solution. I took
>   typing in school, a disturbing number of years ago. I am fully
>   trained on the QWERTY keyboard.

     I don't touch type, but I type fast enough to have worked as a
     typesetter in various places over the years.

>   The Dvorak keyboard is probably better, but I have better things
>   to do with my time than learn how to type again.

     Studies do not show that the Dvorak layout gives any significant
     advantage.

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com/>
    Author: