SSH with -N and -f in an upstart job

DAVID CHIPMAN chipmand-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 20 02:39:37 UTC 2012

________________________________
From: Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:13:49 PM
Subject: [TLUG]: SSH with -N and -f in an upstart job

I'm attempting to use upstart to start up a bunch of ssh port forwarding
mappings so that I can check Munin over SSH only (Munin 2.0 has this
functionality but isn't ready yet).

So far, if I create a simple bash script with a series of commands like
the following, I can run munin server locally and have it poll the
remote munin-nodes no problem.

sudo -u munin ssh muninuser at node1 -L 5001:127.0.0.1:4949 -N -f
sudo -u munin ssh muninuser at node2 -L 5002:127.0.0.1:4949 -N -f
sudo -u munin ssh muninuser at node3 -L 5003:127.0.0.1:4949 -N -f

The problem is that if I put these into exec statements in an upstart
job, only the first one executes, the other two do not.

I've also tried calling a bash script containing the commands, but
upstart just hangs in that case.

Anyone here who has written upstart jobs that might be able to point me
in the right direction?

I'm trying to use upstart instead of an init.d script or rc.local
because it seems like a reasonably clean way to run processes like this
on startup.

Jamon
Sorry abou the HTML... Why don't you use a regular shell script, and call that from the upsatrt script using a single exec?

-David