Stuck with Printing Problem

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 16 14:34:32 UTC 2012

> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:35:13 -0400
> From: kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Stuck with Printing Problem
>
> On 12-03-15 11:23 AM, Ori Idan wrote:
> > I have no problems with printing although I never tried localhost:631 I am
> > using printers from the setup menu.
>
> IIRC, Ubuntu doesn't use (or stopped using) localhost:631. It has the
> Printing menu entry under Administration for configuring printers.

The Printing utility is not doing anything. It tries to start, then
disappears. That's probably because the cups server won't start up (not
finding the shared library).
localhost:631 cannot get a connection.

> > I have heard many horror stories regarding Ubuntu upgrading. I know many
> > people reinstall Ubuntu from scratch instead of upgrading. This can be
> > easily done if you have your /home in a separate partition.
>
> I have heard people saying they have heard stories of problems upgrading
> Ubuntu. When I used to run Fedora I found it was often safer to upgrade it
> by doing a fresh install. If updating from previous release it may be ok but
> if you were skipping a release upgrades tended to be more problematic.
>
> I have had much better luck doing upgrades under Ubuntu. I haven't yet had
> to do a fresh install of Ubuntu to upgrade. The only problems I currently
> have are minor ones and might have been due to my removing all packages
> relating to Unity (in 11.04) then installing packages for Gnome 2 after
> booting 11.04 for the first time and quickly realizing I couldn't live with
> Unity.

I wasn't upgrading ubuntu, only updating packages listed on the update manager. My in-laws don't do any updating (they usually forget everything I've said as soon as I go out the door), so there were over 250 packages to download.

Besides printing, I also lost all function in firefox (had to remove and re-install - then it crashed a bunch of times), and lost the gnome clock aplet (after a few tries gave up trying to add it back to the panel). There could be other failures I haven't run into.

John.