Teksavvy cable modems

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 9 22:40:01 UTC 2012

Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> VLAN2 is my external network. I tested the vlans and they are properly
> configured

With VLANs, VLAN tagging is used on Ethernet frames and any device that
you want to communicate with has to be able to handle VLAN tags.  So,
unless the modem interface is set for no VLAN, it won't see the traffic
intended for it.  If you had a managed switch, you could assign a switch
port to any VLAN and the modem wouldn't know the difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN_Tagging