Binning web advertisers and trackers

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 6 20:22:23 UTC 2012

On 6 March 2012 14:11, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:00:53PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote
>> The recent release of Mozilla's Collusion plug-in for Firefox has
>> inspired me to go after web advertisers and trackers.  I already use
>> both AdBlock Plus and NoScript, and yet after a couple days of
>> browsing Collusion is showing sites like imrworldwide, 2o7.net,
>> quantserve, and scorecardresearch tracking my movement on the web.
>> This is because there are several sites on which I have to enable
>> JavaScript to get reasonable functionality - Slashdot comes to mind
>> (and yes, they do use trackers).
>
>  Try the "Ghostery" plugin for Firefox
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

I uninstalled Ghostery when they were bought out by a company that
claims to be about consumer privacy but gets its money from companies
that sell advertising.  They appear to have been doing a reasonable
job with Ghostery, but I have to admit to considerable pessimism about
that continuing.  So I'd prefer to find another solution.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org