server distros

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 6 17:35:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:25:27PM -0500, Mel Wilson wrote:
> I did a bugfix upgrade on a Ubuntu Server once, and it seemed easy.
> If VMWare hadn't been misconfigured it would have been seamless.  As
> it was it made for a very long afternoon.
>
> Any warnings you can share briefly?

I have seen what happens when you try upgrading one version to another
of Ubuntu.  It has issues more often than not it seems.

My wife was using Ubuntu at UofT for her machine there because that's what
it came with.  It has had a lot of issues with upgrades over the years.

One upgrade made X go away.  She was unimpressed.  I seem to recall she
reinstalled from scratch to fix that.  Another time an upgrade changed
the network port arrangement, taking the machine of the network.

--
Len Sorensen