not impressed by Ubuntu bug fixing

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 5 02:58:09 UTC 2012

I have an AMD E-350 based little computer.  It is a natural for driving a
TV.  The E-350 "Fusion" CPU includes a decent video controller.
Unfortunately, AMD has not released the specs so open-source drivers
cannot send sound over the HDMI out.  So the proprietary AMD drivers
would seem to be a good choice.  So I chose Ubuntu -- it makes loading
proprietary drivers very easy.

Except in this case.
 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-common/+bug/873058>
(Notice that this is classed as a bug with code for the nvidia drivers.)
This was reported in October and has still not been fixed!  Apparently it
is a trivial problem.  Somehow related to
 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer-updates/+bug/825339>

Perhaps the E-350 chip will be a year old before it can be exploited on
Ubuntu.