CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 19:55:15 UTC 2012

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| I paid $100 US for an i.MX53 QSB.  I don't have any interest in the pi
| at this point. :)

List price is US$149.  I think HDMI-out is an added cost option.  CPU
is better (twice the clock rate, newer ARM standard).  RAM is much
better (1G).  Don't know about video drivers.

So many choices.

To me, the RaspberryPi is cheap enough that buying it is not much of a
decision.  The i.MX53 QSB not so much.

At the price of the i.MX53 QSB, I think that a Dreamplug would be
closer to my desires.
<http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-dreamplugdetails.aspx> But
then I bought a tiny bare-bones AMD e-350 system for only $100
recently and that is pretty nice.

Today, if you are in the US, you can get this for $24.99, including
shipping:
<http://www.meritline.com/edimax-150mbps-wireless-broadband-nano-router---p-68965.aspx>
(Go to their sale page.)
They are pretty cute (I have one).  MIPS-based wireless mini-router
with open source firmware.  It includes the case and power supply but
a limited set of outputs.