CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 03:11:41 UTC 2012

On 12-03-01 07:15 PM, Burhan Hanoglu wrote:
> There is a difference between those two statements...
>
> -"...and runs on open-source software developed at Toronto's Seneca College,..."
> (from http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/03/01/technology-raspberry-pi-launch.html)
>

> -"...a version of Fedora, developed at Seneca College in Canada,..."
> (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi)
>

> It's not an "open-source software developed at Seneca". It is a version of Fedora developed at Seneca, or an open-source software developed at Seneca based on Fedora, or a modified Fedora distribution; same as Ubuntu being developed based on Debian.
>
> Worth to mention the difference considering general public will not understand the concept as we do here.

Really depends on the audience I'd say. I'm sure some are lost at Linux,
nevermind open source or Fedora. We're Linux hacks, professionals,
amateurs and experts. I think it is safe to say your average CBC reader
is not any of those.

It's a mainstream news outlet - everyone should be pleased that even
this much attention has been paid to Raspberry Pi. Further splitting of
hairs is what makes us come off as pedants and zealots to newcomers.

Jamon