3TB Harddisk sale

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 22:35:41 UTC 2012

William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 01:58:03PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > I just built a raid1 using a pair of WD 2TB RE4 drives.  I bought them
> > a week apart and the serial numbers are about 500 apart. :)
>
> WD RE series are top of the line.
> But, I hear bad things about WD Green series.

WD Green has a reputation for spinning down early and often and putting
low-watt numbers ahead of all else.  Performance?  Reliability?
Bunny-loving tree-huggers crave not these things.

I bought a 2TB one before I started hearing horror stories, and after a
year or two it started throwing checksum errors (you get those with some
random filesystem I won't name on a Linux list).  Currently I have a
Seagate ST32000542AS CC34 and a Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 MN6OA580 mirrored
in that box.  Amazingly enough, all three claim *exactly* the same number
of blocks, so I wonder if my paranoia of never having two by the same
maker in the box is actually winning me anything or if they're all OEMed
from the same assembly line.

I expect I'll be trying the WD RE4 Lennart mentions next.

--
Anthony de Boer