3TB Harddisk sale

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 17:55:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03:35PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> What's interesting to me is they have 500GB Seagate Barracuda's on
> clearance sale at $50. A pair of those would double my hard drive
> space.
>
> I've generally preferred Seagate drives. They have never given me
> any problems. But that may have been before SATA drives. I don't
> think my current SATA drives are from Seagate but I would have to
> check who made them.

Seagate's first sata drives didn't work with SiL controllers because
seagate misunderstood part of the sata spec.  Everyone else got it right.
SiL happened to use an optimization in their controller that relied on
the drive working as per the spec, and a specific command would fail
on the seagates because they had limited the allowed values for that
command in a way not permitted by the sata standard.

Then came the 1TB and 1.5TB seagates that would brick themselves due to
a firmware bug that took many month to even get seagate to admit existed.
Seagate tried to blame disk controllers, OSs, etc.

So yes seagate used to be great reliable drives.  These days I have no
interest in trying anything they make.

--
Len Sorensen