Bar code generator for Linux system

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 26 16:53:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Curious, any one here have worked with bar code generator on Linux
> system?  I have done a quick search and there seem to be a good number
> of them.  It looks like Zint is the best choice but then it looks like
> its no longer maintained.

The thing I have used when I wanted to use barcodes is the labels
application, GLabels.

http://www.glabels.org/

It supports several forms of barcodes, notably NOT including QR codes,
the "cool new thing."

GLabels tends to be about generating labels, business cards, and such
like; that's a somewhat different part of the problem than generating
barcodes, in effect, having barcodes is just *part* of the problem,
and most of what it's about are other aspects of working with
documents that could include barcodes.

There's a "KDE" variation on this, http://www.kbarcode.net/

It also points to some things that just do barcodes:
http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf417encode
http://www.tec-it.com/linux  (note that this is bait'n'switch-ware; if
you need a "properly licensed" version, that costs quite a bit...
<http://www.tec-it.com/en/order/prices/PriceList.aspx#TBCX>).