Linux Mint 9 LXDE on powerpc iMac G5 all in one computer

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 26 03:17:10 UTC 2012

Linux Mint 9 LXDE on powerpc iMac G5 all in one computer

The iMac G5 system:
PowerPC PPC970FX, altivec supported (1800.00MHz)
Debian GNU/Linux 6.05
20 inch display

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-powerpc-businesscard.iso

Burned ISO to blank CD.
Inserted business card CD and held down the "C" key immediately after
turning on the computer

at the boot prompt I typed:
expert64 url=mintppc.org

I had to add my user account to the Sudoer's list:

su
echo 'username ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers

In Terminal I setup Gufw as follows:

sudo su
# obtain server's IP address
SERVERIP=`hostname ‐‐all‐ip‐addresses | cut ‐‐fields 1 ‐‐delimiter " "`

# disable firewall
sudo ufw disable

# reset all firewall rules
sudo ufw reset

# set default rules: deny all incoming traffic, allow all outgoing traffic
sudo ufw default deny incoming
sudo ufw default allow outgoing

# open port for SSH
sudo ufw allow ssh

# open port for Webmin
sudo ufw allow webmin

# open ports for Samba file sharing
sudo ufw allow from 10.0.0.0/8 to $SERVERIP app Samba
sudo ufw allow to 10.0.0.0/8 from $SERVERIP app Samba

# open ports for Transmission‐Daemon
sudo ufw allow 9091
sudo ufw allow 20500:20599/tcp
sudo ufw allow 20500:20599/udp

# open port for MySQL
# open ports for Lighttpd
sudo ufw allow proto tcp from 10.0.0.0/8 to any port 3306
# sudo ufw allow “Lighttpd Full”

# open port for network time protocol (ntpd)
sudo ufw allow ntp

# enable firewall
sudo ufw enable

# list all firewall rules
sudo ufw status verbose

Configured Iceweasel to not store browsing history

In Iceweasel click tools >Add-ons > search for FlashVideoReplacer
Install the add-on then restart Iceweasel

Click FlashVideoReplacer icon (top right corner)
Change preferred method to standalone
Check mark Launch player automatically >Close
Goto youtube and play a video
The video will play in gnome media player automatically

Installed Iceweasel add-on, DownloadHelper 4.9.9.  It dowloads MP4 but
failed to convert MP4 to MP3.

Installed Iceweasel add-on, Audio Thief Online Video to MP3 Converter.  It
converts and downloads with blazing speed and fair quality.

I tried and failed to image this Linux Mint OS on an iMac G5 all in one
powerpc.

Copycat X was able to clone the entire hard disk on my hackintosh, a HP
Compaq dc5000 SFF running Kalyway Tiger OS X 10.4.10 available here:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3825389/Kalyway_10.4.10_(IntelSSE3___V1.1_AMD_amp_SSE2_Patch_fixes)

Therefore deployment of Linux Mint 9 LXDE onto a powerpc iMac G5 requires:
1.  An Apple computer or a hackintosh PC running OS X with Copycat X
installed
2.  A hardisk with Linux Mint 9 LXDE powerpc installed on top of Debian
6.05.  I am using SATA. It may be possible to clone IDE to SATA
3.  Customer's or replacement SATA hard disk.

The system came with only 256 DDR1 RAM. I added another stick of 256 for a
total of 512.

Various imaging software could NOT handle the partition scheme. Here is the
output from the terminal command:

su
cat /proc/partitions

8 0 156290904 sda
8 1 31 sda1
8 2 977 sda2
8 3 154826172 sda3
8 4 1462610 sda4
8 5 56 sda5

Later, I will post links to pics and videos of this beautiful computer!

--
http://drpcdr.ca
http://jobcircle.ca