RBS seem to have had major technology issues

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 25 14:07:06 UTC 2012

On 25 June 2012 09:44, Ian Garmaise <ian.g-m+eCFz0Wf2kS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> From the Guardian - confessions of an IT salesman
>
> http://bit.ly/Mv3kgD

Actually that looks like a better story behind what happened to RBC.
It look like they were able to identify and roll back RC petty
quickly, but they seem to have know one local with the no how to bring
the rest of the systems back to sanity.  Basically they seem to have
thinned their tech group too much that nobody seem to know the system
very well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18577109

One RBS banker put it like this: "it was the management of the
after-effects of the software failure that caused us the real
difficulties, rather than the software failure itself".

As I understand it, one reason why RBS has not given much detailed
information about why its services have been so badly disrupted is
that so much of the operational responsibility for IT is outsourced -
so there is a sensitive issue of where to attribute blame.

William