Linus vs. NVidia

sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 20 16:27:50 UTC 2012

On 19 Jun 2012 at 16:50, William Muriithi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > It's interesting how everyone notices only this part that is less then 2
> > minutes towards the end of the lecture.
> >
> > I enjoyed listening to all the talk.
>
> I just remembered something I did not understand and I am wondering if
> there is anyone here who can clarify what he meant.
>
> Someone had asked him if there was any other language other than C
> that can fit operating system development. He said no and he showed a
> couple of reasons why that is the case.  One of that case was the
> ability to optimize, as he can see the assembly lines that will be
> generated by just looking at the C code.

He means that, having coded raw machine code without an assembler since
about age 10, he can now look at C code and visualize in his mind how
efficient the machine code will be, allowing him to micro-optimize the
code effectively. That is a rare skill.

> At that point he brought up
> a fact that Linux is the only language

the only kernel, you mean...

> that can parse file without
> cache miss and apparently this has only been possible the last 18
> months.

I think you mean "without contention". It always accesses the cache.