Linus vs. NVidia

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 20:50:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

> It's interesting how everyone notices only this part that is less then 2
> minutes towards the end of the lecture.
>
> I enjoyed listening to all the talk.

I just remembered something I did not understand and I am wondering if
there is anyone here who can clarify what he meant.

Someone had asked him if there was any other language other than C
that can fit operating system development. He said no and he showed a
couple of reasons why that is the case.  One of that case was the
ability to optimize, as he can see the assembly lines that will be
generated by just looking at the C code.  At that point he brought up
a fact that Linux is the only language that can parse file without
cache miss and apparently this has only been possible the last 18
months.

I haven't streamed the video again today, just trying to write what I
though he said and I most likely mis quoted him.  Think though I have
enough details for one to figure out what section I am referring.  My
problem though, I didn't really understand what he meant Linux can do
now.  Either my English language skills is failing me or my operating
system concepts are weak

Did anyone figure it out and able to clarify it for us a little challenged?

William