[mythtv-gta]: Re:Raspberry PI vs. VIA APC vs. ?

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 11:18:30 UTC 2012

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> That is unfortunately true.  Although to only video cards that actually
> work properly for mythtv use are nvidia cards, and pretty much only when
> using the binary driver, so overall, it comes out about the same.

I'd be worried that the next generation of Nvidia hardware will halt
and catch fire if it detects you running Linux on it, after the great
esteem Linus recently expressed for that firm.

> I still think an 800Mhz ARM with 1GB DDR3 ram and gigabit ethernet and
> video decoding hardware ought to be OK for a mythfrontend.  Worth trying
> at least.  Even has OpenGL|ES 2.0.

The hardware codec would be the centrepiece of that, though: if you've
got one then a very modest CPU can keep it fed with raw data, while if
you don't then you need a fairly grunty CPU to do it in software.

And a box that can support some things in hardware and has to fall back
to software for others falls off a cliff there performance-wise, so
transcoding one's collection to something the hardware can handle might
be an issue too.  I was at one point going to look into media servers
that can transcode on the fly and run that on a beefy box somewhere off
to the side.

--
Anthony de Boer