What hardware

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 18 20:58:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:11:35PM -0700, James Mcintosh wrote:
> What hardware does a laptop lent to me have?
>
> The owner says that it's a Pentium 3 with several gigabytes of RAM.
>
> The hardware reports to me:
>
> Computer:
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz 587MHz 512 MB of RAM
>
> Does "Pentium M" mean "Pentium 3"?

Almost.  The Pentium M is the Pentium Mobile.  A very nice CPU based on
the Pentium 3 (and hence pentium Pro) optimized for low power consumption.
It was what the Core line of CPUs started from when the Pentium 4 disaster
was scrapped.

> It reports two speeds:
> 1400MHz
> 587MHz
>
> Why?

To same power.

> Is the 1400MHz for processor, and the 587MHz for RAM speed, or speed of floating point processor - or what?

I believe it supports running at two speeds.  Low speed saves power and
makes the battery last longer.

> It seems to me that it has only 512 MB of RAM, rather than his stated "several gigabytes".

512MB was a lot for a Pentium M machine.  Perfectly reasonable.

> Maybe his recollections are mistaken?

Likely.

--
Len Sorensen