Nokia to use Window mobile 7

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 17 16:42:51 UTC 2012

| From: Ori Idan <ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org>

| Are you sure it is Debian?
| From what I remember it is using RPM as package manager so I don't think it
| is Debian.

(Fixed quoting.)

Meego is about an alien who claims to be from Canada
  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meego_%28TV_series%29>

Meego itself is a weird mash-up.

- Nokia brought Maemo, which was debian-based

- some part came from OpenSUSE.

- some RedHat hackers were hired by Intel (Arjen and Cox, at least)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo>
    Harmattan, originally slated to become Maemo 6, is now considered to
    be a MeeGo instance (though not a MeeGo product), and Nokia is giving
    up the Maemo branding for Harmattan on the Nokia N9 and beyond (Maemo
    5, aka Fremantle, and previous versions will still be referred to as
    Maemo).[10]

So the N9's Meego might really be Maemo by another name.

Another interesting quote:
    According to Intel, MeeGo was developed because Microsoft did not
    offer comprehensive Windows 7 support for the Atom processor.[6]
I think MS does support Win7 on Atom.

Still another interesting quote:
    Acer Iconia M500 tablet will run MeeGo[65]
I see a lot of A500's available -- A for Android?
I wonder if they could be reflashed to MeeGo?  Oh, no, the M500 is
Atom-base (dumb).  I bet it never actually shipped.

Intel has apparently abandonded Meego for Tizen.  The transition has
been very bad.  Qt seems to have been sidelined.  There is a Mer
project in which voluteers work forward from Meego.

A dizzying amuont of branding changes.  Who knows about the code.