Nokia to use Window mobile 7

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 16 18:27:43 UTC 2012

Christopher,

Read this article and thought of checking if TLUG  was close in
analysing the deal now that it is history

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18460636

> It seems rather suicidal to me, for Nokia.  It makes their cellular
> business *highly* dependent on Microsoft, and vulnerable to any
> disadvantages that may accrue from changes in MSFT strategy.  It
> reduces their profit margin, which, when they're "tops" at selling
> phones into low margin markets, could be fatal.

You were spot on in raising this as something they should  worry
about.  It looks like people never actually started to warm up to
Window phone 7 and this is now a Nokia problem too. The work suicide
and fatal now seem a tad appropriate

> I have little difficulty agreeing with the new CEO's claim that
> they're on a "burning platform."
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/nokia-ceo-stephen-elop-rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin/>
>
> But even if you're "standing on a burning platform," you've got to
> look pretty carefully before you leap, lest there be outcomes even
> worse than getting singed.  (Recall that on 9/11, there were folk that
> fled a "burning platform" to a many-story fatal fall.)
Ya, could actually be neat if there was a way of checking if their
problem could be less acute had they not changed their strategy.
Note, I still think they would be dying, just not too fast.  Think
they panicked and as you said leaped before looked

> I'm rather curious as to why, after consciously "open sourcing" parts
> of all their ongoing platforms (e.g. - Maemo, Symbian, Qt), it
> *didn't* appear that Android would fit well.  There are certainly
> reasons of *pride* to resist a migration towards Android.  (But such
> reasons would apply every bit as nicely to resisting a move to
> Windows.)
>
> I wonder if there's a massive amount of behind-the-scenes influence
> that mayn't ever be obvious.
Possibly, the risk were too high to call it an educated strategy.
Look more of a serious gamble or they were out of touch. Anyway, look
like they are done now as they don't seem to have plan B
> --
> http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxdistributions.html
> --
William