Which UPS?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 14 18:41:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:38:20AM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> Note the statement that I made in my original post, leading into the
> paragraph that you're questioning:
> "If the primary power that you have for your PC is 120VAC (we're
> talking the typical North American home here) then an AC output UPS
> isn't so stupid."
>
> Emphasis on "we're talking the typical North American home here", thus
> assuming a typical small retail UPS.
>
> I have five of this type of UPS here at home:
> - APC Personal Powercell 170W
> - APC Back-UPS ES 350
> - APC Back-UPS ES 500
> - APC Smart-UPS 700
> - Belkin 750VA
>
> The APC Smarts-UPS provides true sine output and is more intended for
> busness/industrial use.

And high efficiency PC power supplies that require sine wave input
(which is most of the high efficiency ones).  80% is not high efficiency
by that measure.  85+% is.  Some power supplies will turn off if you
feed them some of the simulated sine wave power that cheap UPSs generate.
Some will simply make a lot of noise as they try to compensate for the
"weird" input in the active power factor correction circuit.

> Every one of these uses a mechanical relay to switch from line to battery.

I have an APC Smart-UPS 1500, Smart-UPS 750XL, and a Back-UPS 850ES.

--
Len Sorensen