Which UPS?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 14 14:32:17 UTC 2012

Scott Allen wrote:
> Emphasis on "we're talking the typical North American home here", thus
> assuming a typical small retail UPS.

I was referring to industrial systems, as used in telecom and data
centers where all UPS is truly that.  No relays to switch output.  One
example I came across a few years ago was at the new headquarters for
the Kingston police.  Their UPS, made by Liebert IIRC, was a few
cabinets about 5' high.  It provided power for all their communications
equipment and computers.  In that environment, you do not want any hits
that could even briefly interfere with operations.  Same thing, back
when I was at Unitel/CNCP/CNT.  UPS meant just that, uninteruptable.
There were no hits cause by switching on power failure.