Which UPS?

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 14 05:42:33 UTC 2012

A few side issues here may be muddling the picture and making complex internal PSUs seem clunky, contrasting positive plain statistics.

Doing all the conversion inside the computer case adds more heat to the system; of course, this matters more with smaller form factors. There's the prospect of what if power outage rates were a lot worse. If the power was already out, DC input would facilitate being able to plug a simple battery to power the system. Perhaps these sorts of things just make a PC with a DC plug just intuitively appear less obtuse.

Also, having joint DC production for many devices should be good for efficiency. This is probably something that contributes a bit in the datacenters. Another thing that could influence it would be having some of the power conversion further away, even if every stage of conversion is exactly as efficient, air conditioning power may still be getting saved.