boxes that might be of interest

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 13 14:45:23 UTC 2012

After Scott's talk last night, I mentioned some of these boxes.  He asked
for some links.  I thought I might as well pass them on to the list too.

Note: I've not been careful to get the best links, just the easiest for me
to put my hands on.

No longer that interesting TV boxes.  These run Linux but as appliances:
There are modders communities for each of these.  Not enough GPU
horsepower for OpenGL so they will probably never run XBMC.

WD TV Live

Patriot Box Office Core Media Player:
<http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20>

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center
(The manufacturer's site seems to need Flash so I'm left out.)
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_567&item_id=042811>

The next generation runs Android 2.x and so may be more powerful:

Patriot Box Office Alpine
<http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=1172&type=20>
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_567&item_id=047717>

Pivos XIOS DS Media Box Powered by Android 2.3
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_567&item_id=048549>

Cute little PCs:
These are kind of like netbooks without displays, but they have decent GPUs.
Sadly, netbooks are often cheaper, sometimes even netbooks with decent GPUs.

The AMD E-350 has some strong points.  Unfortunately the Linux support
for the GPU has been a bit of a problem (possibly solved by now).

Acer Revo:
What I use.  I don't think they are for sale any more.
I run Ubuntu + MythTV + XBMC on them.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_Revo>
Nice links from that article to comparable devices.

Foxconn nTA 350
We have three of these, but I only have one (my kids have the others)
(I found them cheap, but a one-time-only deal)
<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119050>

NCIX and CC both carry Zotac boxes:
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_124&item_id=044328>

Asus Sapphire Mini Edge PC: