Micro Routers (Was:Raspberry PI (as router))

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 12 16:56:09 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 10:54 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 10:54:58PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote
>
>> My only complaint is that the connectors are splayed all round the sides
>> of the board. If you use network, USB, video and sound, that's a cable
>> or two sticking out each side, which is messy.
>
>    If they came with 2 network connectors, they'd make wicked routers /
> proxies / gateways.

If your already running down that road, why not just add the second port
with a USB to Ethernet adapter. I have two points for this:

1) Your never going to drive any local DSL or Cable Service hard enough
to exceed the USB bandwidth.
2) The Rpi's on board Ethernet is already so there nothing extra to
complain about a performance hit. (the phy is actually a ethernet/USB
hub combo chip which is why the Model B has two USB ports over the Model A).

But, if you wanted to got this route I'd actually recommend the TP-Link
TL-MR3020. 400Mhz MIPS, OpenWRT supported, Wired and Wireless-N
connectivity and a USB port all for $40.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_690&item_id=047186

Just throw a USB to Ethernet adapter on the USB port and you have your
micro router ready to go today. A handful of us have been experimenting
with them at the Hacklab and are finding them to be very functional.

--
Scott Sullivan