Which UPS?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 12 15:59:45 UTC 2012

Scott Allen wrote:
> With a 48VDC output UPS powered by mains AC:
>    - While on mains (most of the time):
> UPS needs to convert 120VAC to 48VDC at, let's say, 85% efficiency.
> The 48VDC PC power supplies above are 70% efficient but let's say we
> find one that's 85%. UPS 85% and PC 85% is 72.25% overall.

Whether AC or DC supply to the power supply, there are two stages
involved, conversion of AC to DC and then converting that DC to the
required voltages through a switching converter/regulator.  I'd have to
question why having both in the same package results in higher
efficiencies of the order you claim.  Many "server farms" run on about
200V DC or so and get better efficiencies than AC powered systems.  The
rectified DC inside a typical power supply would be in the range
approaching 170V.  The conversion of the high voltage DC to the voltages
required by the computer should have about the same efficiency, no
matter what the source, all else being equal.