delving into ebook readers

Stan Witkowski stan-IWrolz/j94yY+5vIsb+96wC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 12 06:08:40 UTC 2012

At 01:45 PM 2012-06-08, Neil Watson wrote:
>It occurs to me that an ebook reader might be a good choice for me to
>read PDF technical manuals while commuting.
>Neil Watson

Ebook Readers:

I use a Kobo Vox  (Android v2.3.3)  7 inch tablet.   $179
    See:      http://www.kobobooks.com/ereaders
    Specs:    http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_tech
    Info:     http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/vox
for:      reading [epub, mobi, PDF, HTML, ASCII text] ebooks and
           music and photos and videos
not for:  reading anything with DRM in it, or email or anything that
           requires a lot of interaction or data entry/typing,
           or reading OUTDOORS.  Your usage will likely vary.

I can't stand e-ink readers because everyone that I've seen
turns the screen 100% black every time you turn a page, and I find
that "blast-to-BLACK" each time REALLY annoying.
Others don't seem to mind, so visit Chapters and try them yourself.

Ignore the official specs on which file formats the Kobo Vox
(or ANY Android tablet) will handle.

It (like any Android tablet) will handle any file format that you
can find an app for. The trick is to suck down a lot of apps as
soon as you get the tablet home.

Also, read up on how Android works to get the most out of your tablet.

Note: Based on complaints I've read online EACH NEW USER should
       know this:

1. You should update your device's firmware ASAP. It may remove
    a lot of annoyances.

2. Android Market (now called Google Play) only sounds like the
    only place to get Android apps, but it is NOT by a long shot.

    Mainly, though, not every Android device automatically has access
    to it, (only if the device manufacturer has made specific
    arrangements!!!).  My Kobo Vox maker did not. To me, this was only
    mildly annoying rather than a deal breaker, but to newbie types
    this can lead to them returning the unit.
    If each Android device maker would only include a ONE PAGE
    piece of paper with each device explaining this it would prevent
    a lot of returns!!!

3. Decided on what you want the unit for BEFORE buying one, and then
    go around and try out various ones.  And learn some basic Android
    info BEFORE trying out different units.

4. Understand that just because your Android device does not do what
    you want with the (usually only few) apps that come on it, that
    DOES NOT MEAN that it is "no good", or that it can not do that.
    GET MORE APPS ASAP when you get your unit!!

5. Battery/power management: Just under two-thirds of your power
    will go to powering the display, and just under one-third will
    go to powering your WI-FI connection, with the remainder
    (10 - 15 per cent) POWERING EVERYTHING ELSE ON YOUR TABLET.
    Please note that these are ballpark figures, and your device may vary.

    Regardless, dimming your display and turning OFF your WI-FI
    (see Airplane Mode) will help a lot.

6. Apps you should get first:
    - Angry Birds             (game)
    - Advanced Task Master    (controls all apps)
    - Battery Watch           (displays battery info)
    - FBReader                (ebook reader)
    - File Expert             (access directories and files)
    - WIFI Analyzer           (list WIFI spots and show signal strength)

    - Turn WIFI ON (touch "Settings", then "Wireless & networks")

7. Note that if you are over, say, 35, your eyesight is likely to
    no longer be great.  If you use your tablet for reading A LOT,
    you should seriously consider a larger (10 inch) tablet.