delving into ebook readers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 11 16:18:42 UTC 2012

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| To me "surfing the web" isn't happening without a keyboard, and touch
| screens make lousy keyboards.

I find I use a tablet a lot for surfing.  But not research (google
searches) -- too much text entry.

| Same for email obviously.

Agreed.  But each to his own -- lots of folks find email is fine on a
phone.  Probably their messages are more like SMS than discursive
epistles.

| TabletPCs were a good idea, except too expensive and a bit heavy.

Funny.  I bought a ThinkPad x61t to try this out.  I just don't use
the tablet aspect of it.  Why not?

- having to use the stylus is a little awkward.

- the stylus would be great for handwriting if there were a good
  recognition application that I knew about (people gush about MS
  OneNote but I'm a Linux user)

- the keyboard is already there anyway

- the Multitouch features popularized by Apple really are nice.
  Nothing like it for the x61t.

- the battery and fan/disk noise make it a less serene experience than
  any of my iPad and iPad-like tablets