Raspberry PI

John Martin martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 11 14:35:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> | From: John Martin <martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>> | Curious how much extra cost a $35 computer can get you into.
>>
>> [. . .]
>
> Extra costs would be an SD card ($5+ depending on capacity),
> keyboard/mouse ($15+ if bought new, free if recycled from an old PC),
> monitor (~$80+ depending on size new, again can be free if recycled
> from an old PC) and a case (plans have been published for a homemade
> cardboard box, effectively free on up to whatever...).

The Pi does not do VGA so I'm stuck with a TV for direct connection.
HDMI is excellent, RCA analog a bit rubbish.

It doesn't do PS/2 keyboard/mouse either. Fortunately, I had a some
USB ones kicking around.

As mentioned, for messing about, SSH and VNC works fine at zero cost.

I picked up the extras at Canada Computers.