delving into ebook readers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 11 14:21:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:21:15PM -0400, Aaron Doucette wrote:
> I have a sony e-reader. It was one of the highly regarded models back in
> the day. It WILL read PDF (and many other formats), but it does a terrible
> job. While the speed has likely improved, the reality of reading manuals
> (or anything else) on a 6" screen (the norm) are the real limiting factor.
> Monochrome aside, a few inches does make a difference.
>
> Aside from the screen emulating paper, and battery life, there is nothing
> these do that a tablet won't do better, and faster.
>
> Also, I get the "I don't want all that extra stuff, I just want a device to
> read off of" argument, but the reality is that tablets are insanely useful
> devices. The features are there when you want them, and can be ignored when
> you don't. Spending $100+ on a single purpose device that does the job
> poorly is not a good use of money, in my opinion.

Well ereaders happen to work well in sun light, something most tablets
do not, they are light, cheap, and very nice to read on.  And the battery
lasts just about forever.

Yes they are a bit slow at changing pages, although not as slow as they
used to be.

The old sony's did have a lot more trouble with PDFs that current ones do.

Personally I have a hard time imaging what a tablet is good for.
I consider them useless.

--
Len Sorensen